OH HI HEY HELLO

My name is Alex & I am a doctoral candidate at Indiana University in the Departments of Curriculum and Instruction and Gender Studies. Prior to this gig I was a bilingual teacher in Chicago Public Schools (union delegate during the Chicago Teacher's Strike wut wut) and prior to THAT I had a brief run as an intern at The Center for Action and Contemplation in Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes, that's a fancy way of saying we meditated a lot) and prior to that I worked at a tuition-free Catholic school in San Francisco's Tenderloin District as a reading intervention specialist, theatre/choir director, and summer school teacher and prior to THAT I was graduating from IU with a B.A. in Spanish, English, and Italian and whoa prior to THAT I was skipping class to eat entire balls of mozzarella & drink wine in Giardini Margherita in Bologna, Italy. Prior to that, nobody cares. 

Over the course of the past fifteen years, I've shed my Catholic ideology if not my love of marble, incense, candlelight, and ritual and transitioned from the type who never questioned authority to being someone who (annoyingly, I'm sure) always questions authority. As an activist, I've worked on a variety of justice-oriented campaigns, from disability justice to immigration reform to Black Lives Matter to prison abolition to union organizing to queer liberation. I am also a spoken word poet, drag performer, and community organizer in Bloomington. During the summer, you can catch me eating pizza and bartending at The Back Door.

Here is a photograph my friend, Brick Daniel Kyle (look him up on insta @heybrickkyle to see more of his work) took of me being E-X-T-R-A:


Comments

  1. Hi Alex! I didn't know that you taught in Chicago! My husband lived there for eight years and I was looking for teaching jobs all around the Chicagoland area while subbing in MCCSC. I ended up being offered the job here in Bloomington at a school that I love, but I always have a place for Chicago in my heart! I'd love to hear more about your bilingual teaching experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OH HAI

Reflection